Sunday, June 22, 2008

With Love, From Hawai'i Day 8

So this is it folks. At least for this particular trip. Mom and I dropped Lisa off at the airport around 11am. Which meant that we had nearly 7 hours to kill before we had to be back. Too bad there was not much beach in this part of the island. But we made do. We did some more shopping. Found our way to a Barnes & Noble to pick up a few books and read for awhile. And before heading to the movie theater...(Get Smart is a funny and entertaining movie)...I happened to notice a like-minded vehicle owner that would have gotten along well with the Dad.

Who needs a front seat when you've got a surf board?

And what is it with flights and pick-up...lines?

My mom and I were actually sitting together for our flight home. No finagling required :) And as we headed back to our seats...and by back I mean the 2nd to last row from the back tail...we were thinking out loud and to ourselves,

"Hey, we might get this entire row to ourselves. How nice would that be? Make sure to spread out our stuff strategically...I mean this is a red eye, so hopefully we will be able to get comfortable enough to sleep. Oh yes, grab another pillow and blan..."

"Yeah, I think that's my seat."

Says the young, dark, and curly haired guy while taking out his earphones.

Well, we began to move, making a couple of light jokes while my Mom moved to the center seat and tried getting comfortable. What was a relief was that the guy started making jokes back. Hello Friendly Guy. This flight wasn't going to be half bad if he was willing to see the comedy in our being stuffed in with strangers reclining into our laps on the way home.

By the end of this vacation, I had forgone all makeup and hair products...in a good way :) Note: Salt Water does amazing things to your hair! I was dressed in pj's and looking forward to putting on some headphones and watching the in-flight movie and then getting some sleep. But apparently my look said, "Talk to me". So he did. Chatted and joked with me in that when Mom got up to stretch her legs, he introduced himself, asked my name...and my age.

What the heck??

But all in all, it was for the best. Because I knew he was young, but I nearly pulled my first Yanaj: he was 16...almost.

And when I told him my age? He convincingly sounded shocked. He thought we had been born in the same decade. No Sir: I am not 18. I remember waiting for the original Nintendo to come out. But I will say, Friendly Guy certainly made my flight home much more entertaining (especially considering that the in-flight movie was Fool's Gold).

Thanks Young Guy. And Good Luck on taking your Driver's License Test.

1 comment:

Emma said...

That cracks me up! I loved reading about your vacation.