Tuesday, June 17, 2008

With Love, From Hawai'i Day 3

So this was most decidedly our busiest day. It was agreed that for a $114 ticket, we could island hop to Oahu in order to see Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. This was where I was going to get in a little bit of US History and Hawaiian culture (aka My Luau). We once again woke early and went through our quickest airport security check we have ever had to date...we told an airport worker the flight we were taking and to where, when he personally walked us up to the pilot. The pilot then took roll and told us to take a seat, we would be leaving shortly.

Ha on them! Until our pilot walked us out to this:

...and if you are curious, No, that is not our pilot.
Rather he was the very very friendly gentleman who was
interested in picking up some peoples in our party.
His pickup line?
"Are you the same older ladies who hired some of my construction workers last night, and then had them arrested for being too friendly?"

Note Sir- never refer to ANYONE as older anything.

My view from our lovely 8-seater plane.
8 seats in which I was able to watch our pilot
for the entire flight, fly us into Oahu.

Our wheels.

Worth the upgrade (Thanks Lisa!)
Trying to be a cautious driver, I kept double checking the blind spot...
...before reminding myself each time...there is no blind spot!

First stop on our itinerary: Pearl Harbor



The most reverent portion of the trip, we spent some time looking and reading about that fateful day in December, 1941. On this memorial spot, there is a museum both on the "main island" and floating over the sunken ruins of the USS Arizona.

Second Itinerary Stop: Polynesian Cultural Center

Activity 1: Parade of Canoes; once we entered the 7 villages we were able to watch each of the island countries represented by a canoe of dancers. One of my favorites was from the island country of Tonga. Truthfully I kept waiting for someone to fall into the water!

But after the Parade of Canoes; we saw this ;)

who was telling us how to harvest a coconut tree.



Activity 2: That evening I attended my very first luau.
We were leid with luscious purple orchids.
Which- behind the right ear- "I'm Available!"
Note for next time- (in a ponytail on the back..."Follow Me")

And after some entertainment we watched the Kahlua pig
(ie guest of honor)
make his appearance.

The most delicious drink...who cares about the carbs right??

Mango smoothie. Don't worry Garretts...it was a virgin mango!


Taro roll- anything purple was made from taro plant...and although poi was tried, it did not make it onto my plate. Everything else was sooo tasty!
Activity 3: Horizons Night Show

Can you guess which drummer caught my eye?



And the toast of the evening...the Fire Dancer!

And of course a tribute to Bone Junior.
To whom I cannot forget no matter what vacation I take.
Rock-a-hula Bone!

The beauty of Oahu...

One of the most popular flowers to wear: freesia


Hawai'i's state flower: Hibiscus


Hawai'i's state pastime: surfing (our view of Waikiki Beach from our hotel room)

3 comments:

Bone Junior said...

I love your advice to never refer to anyone as an older anything. I also love that you found Elvis in Hawaii.

Zoe said...

That is a great pick up line! I'm a bit surprised it didn't work; I mean he was okay looking and all. ;) I think it’s hilarious that you got a picture of him.

Your vacation sounds amazing and I love all the photos. Hawaii looks gorgeous!

Oh and… I like your bang, sassy!

ThanBon said...

Love the pick up line. What an idiot! Day chuck full of amazing things. The flowers are beautiful.