Friday, June 20, 2008

With Love, From Hawai'i Day 6

What do you do on the 1 hour boat ride out to Molokini?

Fish. Of course.

So we finally make it to the crater. Looked as gorgeous as all those postcards portrayed it as being. If you were to see it from above, it would be a large "u" shape, with the open end towards the inlet. This position protects everything inside from the majority of winds; and because there is no beach, the waves crashing at the base of the crater do not stir up muck, reducing visibility. Before unleashing all of us into the water, our Captain accurately described this experience as,


"Snorkeling in an Aquarium"

Want more good advice from Yanaj ... Bring a water noodle.

Mom, Lisa, and My Finger in Molokini crater



I was astounded by the beautifully clear turquoise water. It was the perfect temperature, and although all the active and flashy fish were playing at the base of the crater, I could only get myself to fin my way so close before turning and paddling like mad away...before the surf pounded me into those sharp looking rocks.

Soon I peeked above the water to see where my party was. There I was bobbing in the water, when I realized something. My stomach was beginning to roll a bit...that mango and pineapple I had for breakfast that morning wasn't sitting so well anymore. We had been told that if we felt ourselves getting sea sick on the trip here, that we should make it as quickly as possible to the nearest railing and go for distance. Fine with me, until I am the one floating IN THE WATER. Thus, distance or not, this was an unoption.

Who ever thought of becoming sea sick IN the water?

Needless to say, I slowly finned my way back to the boat, arriving just as the Captain came over the loudspeaker to call everyone back. Apparently we were leaving to our 2nd location because the wind and waves had arrived, making Molokini dangerous once again. Thankfully as we sailed away I sipped on some ginger ale and began to feel better.

On the way we slowed to a stop and were treated to a visit from a friendly Bottlenose Dolphin!

This was our morning! A good way to begin rounding out our vacation.

Note to self: I would actually consider paying to swim with dolphins! The one we met appeared friendly and playful (and very cute!), as he swam to check out the passengers on each of the 3 boats that had slowed to a stop to say "Hi".

2 comments:

Emma said...

I love reading your Hawaii adventures. Someday I hope to make it there with my hubby. I totally need to learn to swim and get over my fear of water first!

ThanBon said...

Yeah, much better experience than Florida. Dolphins. Yeah, that's cool! Man, this is really making me want to go to Hawaii.