Monday, June 16, 2008

With Love, From Hawai'i Day 2

...who knew that the sun rises at 5:32 am? Or that some one's cell phone receives sufficient reception to ring soon after? Not me. I will say that very little sleeping in actually occurred.

Which wasn't bad. It just made sure that I did not waste any time getting to a beach. Our first excursion after renting our snorkel gear was to find the #1 Beach in Maui. Only 15 minutes north of Kahana we found one incredible and secluded bit o' sand. With only 15 other people on the beach, we put on our fabulous fins, goggles, and snorkel tubes and attempted to see sea creatures. Note to others (as my Mom soon found out- it otherwise makes for quite the show) it is best to put snorkel fins on AFTER you get into the water and it is best to take fins off BEFORE you try to walk up on shore.


The best part of this 1st snorkel trip? Yes, yes, besides the Mom Show.

As we were finning our way around, enjoying the clear view; another snorkel-er surfaced and shouted out with a pointed finger,

"TURTLE!"

After working up quite the appetite snorkeling, we headed back to our condo to wash the salt water from our hair and decide where to eat in paradise. Rumor-mongers will say that on Maui (and in Hawai'i overall) food is expensive. Well, sometimes rumors should be heeded, because let me tell you. Maui restaurants are expensive. According to a Maui book that Lisa brought, the Hula Grill was moderately priced, with good food variety and Hawaiian ambience. Well, all I can say is, we made the recommended reservations (yet still had to wait 30 minutes AFTER the reserved time to get a table), and the one "reasonably" priced item was all out by the time we sat to eat. Oh well. At least they had an amazing bread and olive oil-pepper dipping sauce...which by the way we filled up on, that and water. I'm pretty sure I waitress was thrilled at our outrageos ordering.



Suffice it to say, my first full day in Maui was filled with salt water, frog spit (google it!), and ambience-priced food.

Note: At this point still concerned with wearing make-up and "doing my hair"

2 comments:

ThanBon said...

Love the Turtle shot. I'm jealous!

ThanBon said...

Love the Turtle shot. I'm jealous!