Thursday, October 12, 2006

"Is it a SPIDER?"


I thought I would include my own horrifying bug blog to join the ranks of those that have gone before me. To provide a little background: there was once a minor incident involving my old roommates and one of said old roommate's current fiance. Hanging out in the living room talking late one dark night, I happen to look over at the window where there was about an inch of non-covered window...I screamed like I have never screamed before and watched as Bone Junior and Scratch Something moved across the room faster than I had ever seen them move before. Admist my horrifying screams and Bone Junior's continual door slamming, she had the breath to ask me "Is it a SPIDER?" Now in my defense I have never looked out a dark window and had an eyeball staring back at me! No spider would have me screaming like that. Or so I thought. So here goes my secret bug shame. I recently moved into a brand new apartment in Houston, Texas. Life has been comfortable, until one night I look over and see something large and dark moving across my carpet. Thinking it was a mouse I screamed!! Until I peered a bit closer and screamed even louder as I ran to the closet for reinforcement, to squish the largest unknown bug I had ever seen. I even had to recruit a more sturdy shoe than my flip flop, or else I wasn't completely sure that this Hulk of a Bug wasn't going to grab the shoe and squish ME with it. Eventually I was the victor and Hulk was in the trash can...but I could not stop wondering "What kind of bug is it?" and "Should I prepare for an encore?" The natural place to find out...online. I came across this:

"It’s pretty much a typical lazy summer day here in Tuberville Georgia. The kind of day where we just sort of naturally don’t want to do much more than sit out on the front porch under a slow moving ceiling fan and just contemplate world events. Now as things go around here, world events mostly center on conversations about where you can find the biggest roaches and such. I personally vote for Houston Texas. They grow some serious sized critters down there. It isn’t unusual to
see a roach what’s bigger than your whole hand. And those big roaches have wings and can fly. You have to be mighty careful when being dive bombed by a Texas roach."

Now where was this factual information before I moved Houston, Texas.

1 comment:

Bone Junior said...

I am SO impressed that you squashed that roach! I couldn't have done it. Please tell all other roaches to vacate the premesis before I come visit. Thank you.