Friday, October 13, 2006

The Dominator

For those who have not heard yet...my choice to teach in an open concept elementary school has been less than appealing. Open concept literally meaning "No Walls and No Classroom Doors". It was an extremely rough start and I was having to remind myself that I did enjoy teaching, just not the trash from the administration. Then one day I was reading my email; something by the way that I am REQUIRED to check at least twice a day; when I received this friendly message from our third grade school counselor:

"Greetings Metcalf Family,

It is time to dominate one (1) student from each of your classes to participate in the PALS program. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this program, this program allows our students to be mentored by High School students. The high school students will be on campus from 10:45 to 11:15 one day a week. Remember that the person that you choose to dominate should have generally good conduct. The purpose of this program is just to provide additional emotional support and guidance. THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO!!!"


Direct quote. No wonder they were dissatisfied with my performance. To make myself feel a little better I forwarded a copy of this email to a few choice people. One replied with this:

HPLuvr,
I would hope they meant nominate. Obviously the person who sent it felt dominated by someone. Let's keep this e-mail for when we publish the book "How To Keep Your Teachers". Remember your the dominator in your classroom.
Love ya, Mom

'Nuff said.

1 comment:

Scratch Subtle said...

Why didn't you tell use before that you had given in to the dark side and started a blog?
I remember when I was in second grade and we had a dominator. Except I think ours was a large jar of candy . . .