Friday, April 06, 2007

Where all the Cowboys Roam

Two weekends ago I went with a pal to see some real cowboys. Literally. Apparently there is a historic ranch not an hour outside of downtown Houston, that a family lived on for nearly 100 years. You are now able to tour the ranch at your leisure, going from one house to the next as the generations began to appreciate good 'old things like electriciy and indoor plumbing. Now at George Ranch there was a cowboy demonstration that we were able to see. I will tell you one thing, I really believe that the demonstration could have just been a cowboy- 'MMMmm; would have been worth my money. But alas I did get more for the money. Apparently at one point in history, the cattle that was being raised in Texas was immune to this particular tick, but when this Texas beef mingled and worked the other outta state herds, these weak-outta-staters were dying. So the federal government told ranchers in Texas that they had to "bathe" their cattle once every 21 days. In that nasty water were some fairy potent chemicals that not only killed the ticks, but also killed the cowboys with their fumes as they watched the herds get their bathes, and it even began killing the people who were eating the Texas beef. But no fear, I asked, and now the cattle get "flea-like" treatments, you know that Avantage stuff that you put on your dogs and cats on their shoulders? Same thing, just put it on your cattle.



Also, noted, this was a walking tour...until I came across this sign and suddenly I wasn't so keen on the walking near the rivers and streams as I had before.
Even if Mr. Alligator was trying to tempt me down there with a soda... I didn't buy it for a second.

2 comments:

Bone Junior said...

You?? Passed up on a soda?? Clearly Mr. Alligator was making a peace offering of some kind - I bet he was surprised you didn't take the bait.

Scratch Subtle said...

You mean real cowboy's bathe??? Well were's the fun in that!