Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A funny thing happened today...


Rule #1: No candy allowed anywhere in the school. This includes classrooms, cafeterias, and hallways in the whole state of Tejas. A particularly hard rule to abide by the day after the Sugar Holiday. I reminded my kids yesterday afternoon that NO CANDY would be tolerated, and if I found any I would throw it away. Well, Thurston [my partner teacher] brought some candy to share with other teachers in a planning meeting this morning. There was some left over once the meeting broke up, so we put it in a pile on her desk. The students came back a little while later and saw that nice juicy pile of candy and asked why she had it. Proving once again to be the quick witted teacher that she is Thurston waits until her homeroom is back in their seats before she answers those students asking why she was allowed to have candy and they were not. Not skipping a beat she tells the kids, "I told you that candy was not allowed, this is all the candy I found in your backpacks while you were gone." Some of the students got very quiet, unsure how to proceed. You can see the student's dilemma; do students claim it might be their candy and get in trouble for bringing it? or do they kiss that particular portion of their candy stash goodbye? Well, one student decided that the trouble was almost worth it. She did not claim any of the candy was hers, rather into the dead silence that rang out as the class was digesting the information that their teacher had caught them bringing candy to school, this student asks "Did you get some of that candy from a purple backpack?" Smart gal, not quite admitting guilt, while still getting the facts...did Thurston confiscate my Halloween loot or not? Morale: You just remember that your teacher always knows...or will find out!

2 comments:

Scratch Subtle said...

That damn kaimor got me too!

HPLuvr said...

I think he went through you and got me! *shakes fist* Curses!