Friday, August 01, 2008

You unnerstand the words that are comin' outta my mouth?

This to a former roommate (and any others who have ever had a difficult time understanding me)- One day as the two of us are finishing up washing and drying the dinner dishes (back in the days when there was no dishwasher!) I looked directly at her and asked,

"Can you hand me the reehg?"

All action slows, "Huh?" she looks at me with a curiously blank stare.

I point this time, hoping to make myself more clear, "The rrr-eeehhh-g."

Still no response. Apparently I am difficult to understand. To avoid further difficulties, I leaned over to grab the reehg myself. I have an accent. Who would have thought?

I should have realized and made some adjustments. But I remember my very first day of teaching 2nd grade. Very first ever(mind you). I was doing a tour of our classroom with the little kiddos, when I pointed out the Pledge of Allegience poster and begin explaining that we would be saying this pledge, with our right hands over our hearts...to our fleehg. I turn to move on to our next stop when I hear,

"Miss HPLuvr...Miss HPLuvr!! Don't you mean flag?"

I knew right then that I was going to spend the next 179 days trying to keep up with them.

Need further evidence? The results of said quiz:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The West
The Midland
Boston
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The South
The Northeast
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have">What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

So yes. If I had seen the movie Fargo, apparently I would have understood them without any difficulties.

Would you like paper or plastic beehgs for that?

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Ha! I just took that quiz and it said I'm from the West or a big southern city like Dallas or Atlanta. pretty cool. I think it got you right too. I remember you saying rag a few times, it was... cute.