Thursday, November 15, 2007

Step 1: Planning MY Summer

Synopsis: "Who but Rick Steves can tell travelers the best way to visit Etruscan caves in Central Italy's hill towns, shop for cheeses in Avignon's open-air market, or catch an accordion performance on Amsterdam's city streets? Travelers can experience the best of everything Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and Switzerland have to offer — economically and hassle-free. This guide includes opinionated coverage of both famous and lesser-known sights, friendly places to eat and sleep, suggested day plans, walking tours and trip itineraries, and clear instructions for smooth travel anywhere by car, train, or foot."

One of my life's goals is to one day travel to Italy. Is that day closer than I think? Anyone I've talked to has always told me that to really visit Italy you must plan for a trip longer than the -one week wonder- so as a teacher I am already looking forward to my summer vacation this year. I have a friend who is applying to spend a term abroad in England. Now this term would be for May and June 2008; which works beautifully into my school year ending the beginning of June. I've told this friend that if she wanted to, I could meet up with her at the end of her course in England and we could spend the month traveling throughout Europe. Now England sounds incredible to me, but I am attempting to spread the love to include Italy :) Enough to offer the use of a "family home" in the Black Forest of Germany as a home base as we become travel bums this summer.

To avoid the grandiose planning of plans previous, I have taken my 1st step of researching and planning my trip... buying a travel guide that comes highly recommended. As I sat in Barnes and Noble this evening, reading about suggested packing lists and trip costs, I could almost hear Italian men shouting Ciao Bella. Either that or I was just day-dreaming again.

Does anyone have traveling tips to offer?

Plan for Step 2: Fill out Passport documents, have acceptable photo taken, and send in packet to apply for my passport. Is that actually three plans?

1 comment:

Emma said...

How fun!!!! Some day I will leave north Anerica for England or Europe. Ah someday. Hopefully I won't have a 3 year old and 7 month old tagging along with me.