Sunday, January 28, 2007

Seafood Connoisseur

Now me being from Seattle and all...I consider myself quite the seafood connoisseur. This is not to say that I have been a lifetime lover of all things "fishy", I've gone clam digging...once. I tried them, and there will be no way that anything that chewy will ever come into contact with my lips again. But I am willing to try new things, as was my experience with sushi recently. I was the tallest gringo in the place, and I felt that my clothes might match a little too much with zero Hello Kitty anywhere on my person. I was brief-ed on what to expect. We could sit in a booth or at the "bar"; then the Sushi chefs would make their creations right there in front of us. All very fascinating! Especially when Head Chef pulled out a 20 pound Salmon and with the biggest knife I have ever seen proceeded to de-head and de-scale the salmon in preparation of rolling it into our next sushi roll.

As you are sitting in your booth [or in our case at the bar] the plates of sushi would convey by and you would choose what you want off the conveyor belt and enjoy.

Each plate had 3 -4 pieces of Sushi

Purple plates were $3.00,
Blue plates were $2.50,
Green plates were $2.00, and
Orange plates were $1.00.

...and of course there was the $2.50 Budweiser in case you needed to wash out the sushi taste in your mouth!

As we were waiting for seats at the bar I noticed that Sushi Land had an
"All-You-Can-Eat" contest.

Easy you think? Until you read the fine print...30 plates within 90 minutes!! For those of you that think...no problem. Can you imagine making it through 29 plates? Not only would you be unbuttoning the top button of your pants but the extra space made from your sufficiently lighter, smaller wallet would definitely be needed.
"Sushi land also cannot be responsible for any health problems stemming from eating more plates {entrees} than your body was designed to hold"

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind the next time I am being rolled out the door from going for the Sushi Land Plate Champion title.

Conclusion: Be adventurous and try a roll of authentic "raw" sushi [I'm not talking "California Rolls" here] Just don't expect to become a Plate Champion on your first visit. Save that for next time.

No comments: