Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter Wrapup

I have had a great past few months...hence the sabbatical from blogging. For Thanksgiving my parents came down to Utah to once again enjoy a Fabulous Thanksgiving Dinner away from the Northwest. With as much luggage as they could pack they came prepared for some cold, snowy weather. Unfortunately for the entire two weeks they were here- the snow was mysteriously absent. That is, until they were boarding the airplane to leave. It was then that they were able to enjoy front row seats to the snow flurries.

For my birthday, I was able to spend the evening with a few close to me- at the Melting Pot. All I can say is "mphsdef". Which is "My goodness. Wow...where have you been all my life?" Only it is said around a mouthful of the cuisine. I have heard many good things about the Melting Pot. Even though it is a spendy place and you should plan to spend the evening. We were there a good 3 hours from start to finish. Thankfully they take reservations, so we were seated as soon as we arrived. Also- if it is your first time, splurge and go for the Big Night Out. So now, I am officially into the latter part of the 20's. Should I reveal the scary age...nah. Suffice it to say this is not the scary age.

Which brings me to Christmas vacation. I can thankfully say that I did not miss any of my flights. Almost and not without some tears, I was on each and made it to and from safely. Apparently months before when I was booking my flights home, I picked the night that the first really big snowstorm of the season decided to hit. This wasn't just an isolated storm, instead it blanketed the entire west coast, or so it seemed. I left snow to arrive in snow. Unusual for Washington State. My first week in Bothell, we were all practically snow bound. Something I haven't really experienced since I was in junior high and dealing with a friend's father's irrational demands of traveling around a snow and ice blanketed town. I snuggled up next to the fire/pellet stove/heat source, pulled out a book, or chatted it up with family. I was comfortable with the enforced home bounded-ness. I had no where I needed to be or needed to do. Rather I was along for the ride. In fact it began one of the quietest and enjoyable Holiday times in a long while. In fact it brought out the kid in a few of us:

Snow on the back porch- about 18 inches...so far. The lumps happen to be my mother's flower pots (or Ron's salad bar)

Me and my cousin Darb...and Frosty Jr.

The boys...Nayrb, Darb, and Frosty Jr.

Darb came stomping upstairs one morning announcing that someone was going to step up and by special request of the parents of the home do this. . .


Overall, I must say that I cannot remember ever experiencing a White Christmas at home in Washington. I spent this one enjoying every minute. There is magic in the snow covered evergreens. This was the way Christmas is meant to be spent. Quiet, reflective, with a fire (or pellets) burning, no worries about places to go and things to do, and if I had my way, playing games and of course winning said games.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

What an ideal Christmas! I love the eye's on Frosty Jr.