Sunday, May 06, 2007

Taking the Control Back

All the drama that has been going on this past week, the gun, the administration-parent-teacher conference about the nearly uncontrollable fist fighting student terrorizing my class, being told what to say in said conference, the LYING assistant principal, and the crude emails written to me from some students. I have officially resigned as of 2:23 pm, Sunday May 6, 2007. I no longer have to worry that next year I am going to do it to myself again at Metcalf. The scary part is...what next? I have not been contacted by Alpine School District to work at one of the 3rd grade positions there. Nor have I technically applied anywhere else. I had previously decided that I was NOT going to decide whether to quit the teaching profession after this year or not. Especially since I thoroughly enjoyed teaching at Newman a year ago. I promised myself that I would give it at least one more year before deciding anything major. But it still has me biting my fingernails about what and where to go next.

What a job.

You may be asking "why are you doing this to yourself?" Well the answer is that there are some students, teachers, and experiences that make life at Metcalf endurable.

Working in a portable...








...with the Houston weather...


This is the view from my portable on a recent day that the heavens decided to open up and show us that no matter how important the lesson plan was, or how much my students really needed to be in the classroom, we were not to be having any of it.

"If you happen to be one of those people who are looking at this picture thinking, 'What is HPLuvr talking about' let me explain this picture a bit. You are looking out onto the school's playground. You see the hardtop basketball court. Next you might be able to distinguish some swing sets and monkey bars. Just beyond that, but before the row of houses that are behind our school is Lake a la Metcalf. Which is as large as the school itself, and if I were to have gone wading in it (like I wanted to) it would most likely have come up to my knees."







Western Day at Metcalf...aren't they adorable...



Another chance to celebrate what a great state Texas is. The kids wore cowboy clothing and put on a country line dancing performance for their parents and teachers. SO CUTE!!
















If only every day brought such warm fuzzies to my heart. Because they don't. Which brings me back to my situation. What to do now that I've resigned as a CY-Fair teacher.

But then on Thursday night I get a call. One of the second grade teachers that I worked with last year was calling to tell me that the other second grade teacher that we worked with is retiring at the end of this school year. She was calling to tell me that she wants me to put in my application on Monday and move back to Utah. In fact, she had told the new principal there about me already. What does it feel like to actually be wanted? Like this. The cut in pay, aka- my Teaching Soul- is worth it. Trust me. I will keep you posted about what I really am going to do next year or rather in the next two months.

13 days left.

2 comments:

Bone Junior said...

Come hooooooooooome!!!

Zoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.